Meet Our Rexburg, Idaho Branch

Back row, left to right:  Janel Young, Becky Loomis, Todd Davis, Lori Hoover, Kathy Lords, Kathlean Brown, Jennifer Schernecker. Bottom row, left to right:  Corrinna Schnepf, Heather Erickson, Vicky Hanson, Danna Weekes, and Alison Banta. (Not picture:  Dan Hanna).

Back row, left to right: Janel Young, Becky Loomis, Todd Davis, Lori Hoover, Kathy Lords, Kathlean Brown, Jennifer Schernecker. Bottom row, left to right: Corrinna Schnepf, Heather Erickson, Vicky Hanson, Danna Weekes, and Alison Banta. (Not picture: Dan Hanna and Daryl Olsen).

Rexburg, Idaho is the county seat of Madison County and is the county’s largest city. With a large portion of the county situated on top of a shield volcano, the area’s 473.36 square miles have been molded by vast lava flows that have provided soil adept for growing potatoes and beautiful natural landmarks. Natural attractions, such as the St. Anthony Sand Dunes and Mesa Falls in neighboring Fremont County, are within a short driving distance from Rexburg.

Incorporated in 1883, the City of Rexburg refers to itself as “America’s Family Community” and is home to an estimated 26,520 residents as of 2013. Rexburg has a deep history with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) and was originally colonized by members of the church. Under the direction of church leaders in Utah, Bishop Thomas E. Ricks was charged with staking out the land to find a suitable location to build a community. After presenting his findings to the church leaders, families within the church were encouraged “to sign up to go to the new settlement.”

A small group settled the area in early 1883 in preparation for a larger group of settlers that followed in the spring. The town site was surveyed on March 11, 1883 by Andrew S. Anderson. Originally named Ricksburg, Bishop Ricks requested the town’s name be changed “to Rexburg before the name was registered at the Territorial Office in Blackfoot,” Idaho. (It has been said that the name ‘Ricks’ was changed to the German rendering of ‘Rex,’ thus resulting in the town’s name of Rexburg.) By the end of the year, 815 church members were settled in townships around the valley.

To learn more about Rexburg, visit http://bit.ly/1rBp0HS.

The Rexburg, Idaho branch welcomes the opportunity to provide title and escrow services for your next real estate transaction!

Phone: 208-356-9323

Fax: 208-356-9325

Email: rexburg@alliancetitle.com

Address:  130 E Main St., Rexburg, ID 83440

Share this article: