County seat to Twin Falls County, the city of Twin Falls, Idaho is located along the Snake River in the arid climate of the Snake River plains. Founded in 1904, and incorporated on April 12, 1905, Twin Falls has grown into the largest city in the Magic Valley, with a population of 44,125 residents in 2010, and “serves as regional commercial center for both south-central Idaho and northeastern Nevada.”
Within close proximity to Twin Falls are three waterfalls, including the Shoshone Falls, Pillar Falls, and the city’s namesake, the Twin Falls. Just north of the city limits lies the Snake River Canyon where the majestic Perrine Bridge crosses the wide ravine and “is one of only a handful of artificial structures worldwide where BASE jumping is legal.” Education, art, cultural interests and a state-of-the-art medical facility are also available in Twin Falls.
The higher education facility in Twin Falls is the College of Southern Idaho. The Herrett Center for Arts & Science, at the main campus of the college, offers education, art galleries, a planetarium and observatory, and artifacts and specimens for visitors, students, and residents alike to enjoy. For those interested in the theatrical arts, Twin Falls has the Dilettante Group of Magic Valley. One of the largest annual events held in Twin Falls during the month of June are the ‘Western Days.’ This festivity features “a carnival, two days of music, arts and crafts show, food booths and a parade” at the Twin Falls City Park. Finally, Twin Falls is home to the St. Luke’s Magic Valley Hospital – a 700,000 square foot facility with 186 private rooms offering family accommodations. Yet, the success of Twin Falls would not have been possible were it not for the knowledgeable engineers and financial backing that allowed the area’s settlers to make the county’s 200,000 acres the agricultural seat that it is today.
Prior to the arrival of European-decedent settlers, the Northern Shoshone and Bannock tribes predominantly inhabited the area. While some explorers had navigated through the area, a permanent settlement was not established until a stage stop was founded in 1864 “at Rock Creek near the present-day townsite [sic]. By 1890 there were a handful of successful agricultural operations in the Snake River Canyon, but the lack of infrastructure and the canyon’s geography made irrigating the dry surrounding area improbable at best.” Credited as the founder of Twin Falls, I.B. Perrine found a solution to the area’s irrigation woes and created the Twin Falls Land and Water Company. Obtaining private financing from Salt Lake City, Utah businessman, Stanley Milner, Perrine was able to complete the Milner Dam in 1905. The dam “and its accompanying canals made commercial irrigation outside of the Snake River Canyon practical for the first time.” To learn more about the rich history of Perrine and the comprehensive irrigation system that came about within the first two decades of the 1900s that made the Twin Falls area a rich agricultural region, go to http://bit.ly/YJtTAX.
The Twin Falls team welcomes the opportunity to provide title and escrow services for your next real estate transaction!
Address: 1411 Falls Ave. E, Ste. 1315, Twin Falls, ID 83301